December is when many people focus on the giving and receiving of gifts. At every turn, I’m bombarded with reminders of the latest toy or gadget that has to be under the tree Christmas morning.
This year has been one of challenges, and it’s tempting to focus on how different this holiday season will be. My family Christmas gathering will be much smaller than usual, and I admit to being more than a little blue that our ever-growing, boisterous crew won’t be together this year. Yet I’m grateful for the gift of a gorgeous Thanksgiving weekend outdoor gathering a few weeks ago, when we could all safely enjoy our time together.
Instead of dwelling on what we’ll miss this holiday season, join me in “flipping the script” to focus on unexpected or, in many cases, underappreciated gifts surrounding us. Some of mine include:
- A supportive spouse who’s always my biggest cheerleader, and even more so in a year when the way I work with clients shifted literally overnight
- My sister and brothers, along with in-laws, niece and nephews, their spouses and children, who agreed to sacrifice our cherished and frequent time together over the past few months so we can enjoy our boisterous gatherings again at a later time in continued good health
- Clients who provide me the opportunity to do what I love, in service to an industry with daily impact to every segment of our lives
- My fellow SMPS Foundation trustees—Amy, Andrea, Barbara, Brad, Carolyn, CJ, Janet, Marion, and Michael—who continue to willingly give so much of their energy, time, and knowledge to elevate our profession and embody the SMPS vision of Business Transformed Through Marketing Leadership.
- The Society Board—Doug, Bernice, Melissa, Barbi, Dana, Kim, and Mike—as true partners with the Foundation and for their leadership in an uncertain time
- SMPS HQ staff—led by Michael, Tina, Antonio, Marci, and Josh—who work tirelessly to serve our members, in good times and challenging ones
Last, yet certainly not least, I’m grateful for you and your gift of support for the SMPS Foundation’s mission of research and education through your donations. We couldn’t do it without you! And if you’d like to give a year-end contribution, there’s still time and there are several ways to donate.
I look forward to seeing you in 2021 for the biggest SMPS hugfest ever when we’re together again! In the meantime, may you and your family have a joyful, healthy, and safe holiday season.
Article written by SMPS Foundation President, Donna Corlew, FSMPS, CPSM, who is chief WIT officer of C*Connect.