To provide transparency and expand member engagement, SMPS HQ provides an executive summary of the board of directors’ discussions and decisions following each regular meeting. The eight-member board of directors meets at least four times each fiscal year to fulfill its responsibility of governing the Society and advancing the strategic needs of our members, the organization, and the A/E/C marketing profession. The meeting typically also includes the SMPS Foundation president and the senior management staff.
Our volunteer leaders and senior staff met online on July 30–31 for the annual planning meeting. Included at the meeting were also the newly elected leaders for the 2020–21 fiscal year. The following matters were discussed:
- The continuing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on our industries and the organization, including our chapters: HQ will continue to respond with timely programs and content and additional support for the chapters and their leaders.
- Racial justice and inclusion: the board desires for SMPS to lead on this matter and help our members, their firms, and our chapters address diversity and inclusion in their communities.
- Strategic plan: the board reviewed and renewed its commitment to the mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Operations: the organization must continue to invest in our key activities to maintain value for our members in the current context of doing business. Additionally, the board reviewed our financial position and received reports on our programs.
- Budget: the board identified key activities for the forthcoming fiscal year so they are included in the budget.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for mid-October 2020.
If you have any questions regarding these matters or the Society’s board meetings, please contact SMPS Chief Executive Officer Michael V. Geary, CAE, at email@example.com.