To provide transparency and expand member engagement, SMPS HQ provides an executive summary of the board of directors’ discussions and decisions following each regular meeting. The eight-member board of directors meets in person at least four times each fiscal year to fulfill its responsibility of governing the Society and advancing the strategic needs of our members, the organization, and the A/E/C marketing profession. The meeting typically also includes the SMPS Foundation president and the senior management staff.
The board of directors met on January 24-25 in Alexandria, VA, and discussed several timely and strategic matters. The agenda included the following topics:
• Welcomed Brig. Gen. Joseph Schroedel, P.E., F.SAME, USA (Ret.), the executive director of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME). Gen. Schroedel provided an overview of the activities and mission of his organization.
• Discussed the annual marketing plan.
• Discussed minimum operating standards for our chapters, including applying a thirty-person minimum chapter size (to be implemented a later time).
• Approved a task force to explore the opportunities for and collaboration with the regional conferences.
• Discussed the 2018 and 2019 Build Business conferences.
• Discussed the planning for the 2019 Presidents’ Leadership Symposium.
• Reviewed the planning for The Pinnacle Experience 2019.
• Received an update on the new technology to support HQ and chapter operations.
• Endorsed minimum standards for our learning programs.
• Discussed the implementation of the new brand.
• Received an update on research and fundraising by the SMPS Foundation.
• Received a report on HQ operations.
If you have any questions regarding these matters or the Society’s board meetings, please contact SMPS Chief Executive Officer Michael V. Geary, CAE, at email@example.com.