In our continuing effort to improve transparency and expand member engagement, SMPS HQ will provide an executive summary of the board of directors’ discussions and decisions following each meeting. The eight-member board of directors meets in person at least four times each fiscal year to fulfill its responsibility of governing the Society and advancing the strategic needs of our members, the organization, and the A/E/C marketing profession. The meetings also include the SMPS Foundation president and the senior staff.
Our leaders met in mid-June for their annual planning meeting. Included at the meeting were also the elected leaders for the 2018-19 fiscal year. The following matters were discussed:
- Continued deliberation on the 2017–20 strategic plan. The board spent most of the time at this meeting finalizing the 2017-20 strategic plan. The strategic plan will focus on improving the chapter and member experience, advancing the value of professional services marketing, and adjusting the organizational structure and functions as needed to meet those requirements. The board approved engaging several technology vendors to support chapter operations, developing minimum standards for chapter operations, and explored expanding the leadership conference in the future.
Other pertinent discussions included the following items:
- The new brand and website roll-out planned for later this year.
- Approved in concept strategies to recognize chapters for their community engagement programs.
- Approved an auditor for the 2017-18 fiscal year.
- A report on HQ operations.
- The SMPS Foundation’s research project and fundraising efforts.
- Identified possible host cities for Build Business 2021.
- The Pinnacle Experience 2018 and 2019.
If you have any questions regarding these matters or the Society’s board meetings, please contact SMPS Chief Executive Officer Michael V. Geary, CAE, at email@example.com.