Call for Applications Now Open
The deadline for SMPS Fellow applications is April 11, 2022. Information for the SMPS Honorary Fellows program is further down, and the deadline for application is April 15, 2022.
Fellows Program Overview
SMPS Fellows Program honors outstanding individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the profession of marketing and business development in the A/E/C industries and to the Society, and to encourage continued achievement and SMPS engagement by senior members.
Individuals who are recognized as Fellows are part of a specially selected group of achievers who not only have access to programs tailored to their needs but also have the responsibility to accept leadership roles in the Society and mentoring roles in the profession.
Only those recognized by this process will be entitled to use the FSMPS designation. The Fellows Recognition Program allows this honor to be bestowed by a panel of peers (the Fellows Jury) who evaluate each application individually.
Fellows often serve as a resource to our chapters and the Society and provide insight, ideas, programs, and mentoring support. In addition, these individuals teach, write, and speak on marketing issues outside of SMPS, working to advance the profession of marketing professional services throughout the architectural, engineering, and construction industries.
To be considered for the Fellow designation, a candidate must:
- have 15 years of experience as a marketer and/or business developer in the A/E/C industries
- have been a member of SMPS for at least 10 of the previous 15 consecutive years (since January 1, 2007) and currently be a member in good standing
- have held a current CPSM certification designation for a minimum of five years
- complete a detailed application that documents the candidate’s work history, education, professional accomplishments, association participation, and perception of the meaning of the Fellow designation
Questions? Contact Molly Dall’Erta, SMPS Headquarters, at 703.684.2270 or email@example.com.
The Honorary Fellows Program
SMPS is proud to recognize and bestow the designation of Honorary Fellow, represented as Hon. FSMPS, to exceptional individuals who have played an influential role in promoting, advancing, or ensuring the importance of marketing and business development within their organizations and the A/E/C community.
An award of recognition for extraordinary service, the Honorary Fellow appointment has no remuneration or privileges attached to it. The program hopes that its goals of furthering and deepening the understanding of marketing and business development will benefit from a prolonged connection to its Honorary Fellows.
An individual of esteemed character and distinguished achievements who supports the practice of marketing and business development within the A/E/C community may be eligible. This individual may never have been a member of SMPS or, if once was a member, has not been a member of SMPS within the past 10 years.
Who Can Nominate a Candidate
Any SMPS Fellow, in good standing, may act as a Sponsor and nominate a qualified individual for Honorary Fellowship. Nominations may also be accepted by any member of the SMPS board of directors or the CEO. Chapters may recommend a candidate for consideration; however, the nomination must come from a Fellow, SMPS board member, or the CEO in order to receive further consideration.
The Sponsor is responsible for preparing the nomination. All information, including materials furnished by the candidate, shall be submitted in a PDF application using the bullet points below as a guideline for the submission.
- Bases the nomination on the candidate’s accomplishments in promoting, advancing, and/or ensuring the importance of marketing and business development through leadership, teaching, and/or mentorship within the A/E/C industry.
- Confirms the candidate is not a current member of SMPS and has not been a member within the previous 10 years. SMPS staff at headquarters can provide assistance in this research and documentation upon request.
- Provides guidance to and assists with developing a succinct theme or focus throughout the submittal to satisfy the eligibility requirements.
- Prepares the nomination submittal.
- Writes a one-page nomination letter on behalf of the candidate.
- Solicits three reference letters citing how the nominee achieved one or more areas of accomplishment.
- Notifies candidate of outcome after review and feedback from Fellows Jury Chair.
Deadline for Nominations
The deadline for the submission is April 15, 2022, before 5 p.m. ET. All deadlines are strictly observed. There is no entry fee for this program. Please submit PDF application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of Accomplishment
The candidate must have played an influential role in one of the three following areas of accomplishment: promote, advance, and/or ensure the importance of marketing and business development within their organizations and the A/E/C community.
- “To promote the aesthetic, scientific, and practical efficiency of the profession of marketing and business development.”Honorary fellowship in this category is granted to individuals who have actively, efficiently, and cooperatively built a distinguished portfolio around winning clients and projects. This may be accomplished through an individual or organizational effort led by the candidate being considered for this honor. Work submitted may be of any size, for any client, of any scope, and can reflect any method of marketing and/or business development service.
- “To advance the science and art of marketing and business development by advancing the standards of education, training, and delivery.”Honorary fellowship in this category is granted to individuals who have made notable contributions through their work in education, research, literature, or the delivery of marketing and business development successes. Work in education may include teaching, mentoring, research, administration, or writing and should have a lasting impact, be widely recognized, and provide inspiration to others in the field and the profession.
- “To ensure the advancement of marketing and business development within the A/E/C industry.”Honorary Fellowship in this category is granted to individuals who have made notable contributions, through leadership and support of marketing and business development, within the A/E/C industry, or who have clearly raised the standards of professional performance in these areas by building and/or advancing the culture within their organization. These individuals have made notable contributions to the good of our profession that transcends the scope of normal professional activities.
Failure to comply with the rules and instructions may result in the disqualification of the submission. This includes the completion of all biographical data as requested in the application. Once the application is submitted, there may be no further communications with a candidate regarding verification of the information; therefore, accuracy is essential. While the aesthetic of any submission is important, content over appearance is preferred.
Section 1: Nomination Letter
The Sponsor will provide a letter of endorsement citing how the nominee played an influential role in promoting, advancing, and/or ensuring the importance of marketing and business development within their organization(s) and the A/E/C community.
Section 2: Biographical Summary
This section provides a brief biographical résumé of the candidate.
The Sponsor, in consultation with the candidate, must provide a written digest, not to exceed one page, of the candidate’s notable and outstanding achievements. This summary should highlight the candidate’s eligibility and relevant accomplishments.
Section 3: Accomplishments
This section must focus on the candidate’s most relevant areas of achievement: promoting, advancing, and/or ensuring the importance of marketing and business development. Please keep the descriptions concise. Recommended information for inclusion is noted below:
- Leadership roles and quantifiable results
- Awards received
- Related lectures and presentations
- Cultural impact within their organization(s) or firm(s)
- Published work and/or succinct details of results achieved from the candidate’s involvement in listed activities
Section 4: Exhibits
If appropriate, include exhibits of the candidate’s work or that of the candidate’s firm or others’ work in which the candidate has played a significant role. Any exhibits provided within the submission must support the relevance of the accomplishment, state the problem presented, define the candidate’s particular role, and the resolution emphasizing results. Work within the last 10 years has special significance and is encouraged.
Section 5: Reference Letters
The Sponsor should solicit three reference letters supporting their nomination and citing how the candidate promoted, advanced, and/or ensured marketing and business development in the A/E/C industry or within their organization(s). Please instruct reference writers to create an original letter specific to the candidate and not parrot back language already provided within other areas of the submission.
Request More Information
Past SMPS Honorary Fellows
2016: Judy Schriener, Hon. FSMPS
For the past 30 years, Judy Schriener, award-winning journalist, author, and radio-show host, has leveraged her extensive experience to advance the marketing profession in the A/E/C industry. Schriener currently consults for an Arizona engineering firm and her radio show, “Off the Record with Judy” has been on the air for three-and-a-half years. Within the SMPS community, she has been a contributor and supporter for decades.
2015: Janice Tuchman, Hon. FSMPS
As editor-in-chief, Tuchman leads the editorial team creating content for the Engineering News-Record enterprise—online, in print and at live events. She is active in many construction organizations and has developed a broad network of industry sources who help keep ENR on top of the latest trends and innovations. She has traveled the world to visit outstanding projects and speak to groups and universities.