The question I’m frequently asked is, “What’s the purpose of the SMPS Foundation?” My response is, we identify and deliver research that will increase professional knowledge and improve bottom-line results for A/E/C firms. The Foundation chooses topics relevant for today’s professionals and to understand and capitalize on tomorrow’s opportunities. It’s truly clear and simple.
Another question often asked is, “How can I help the Foundation?” That’s easy to answer and can be done in two ways:
1. Spread the word about the purpose of the SMPS Foundation.
2. Please donate—it’s so easy! When you renew your membership you can opt in to support the SMPS Foundation by ticking the box on the membership form. You can select the recommended donation amount or change it as desired. And because the Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, you donation may be tax deductible as a charitable contribution for tax purposes (USA only).
Our work includes advancing the practice of marketing and business development, exploring and documenting trends in the A/E/C industries, and providing foresight on issues of strategy important to professional services.
For example, in the coming month, the second Informed Strategies publication, Measuring for Success: A Look at Hit Rates & Other KPIs in the A/E/C Industry, will be published. The SMPS Foundation partnered with the Master of Marketing Research program at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville to look at the tools and processes A/E/C firms use to track their success on winning projects.
The study answered three major research questions:
- How do companies in the A/E/C industry track their success of winning projects?
- How is the hit rate metric used to improve future performance?
- What other key performance indicators (KPIs) are used?
The report shares the results of more than 300 survey responses and 23 interviews. It includes current methods to track hit rates and how disciplines vary as well as the hit rate’s impact on marketing and business development strategy. The perceived effectiveness of hit rates is measured, and other common KPIs are identified. It also provides recommendations on using KPIs to improve future outcomes, including educating staff and asking the right questions. Be on the lookout for this publication.
In the meantime, on behalf of the SMPS Foundation trustees, thank you for your continued and future support.
SMPS Foundation President Carolyn Ferguson is owner of WinMore Marketing Advisors. She can be reached at [email protected] or 713.305.8163. Follow her on Twitter @carolynferg.