SMPS Advances: January 2023
February 15, 2023
To provide transparency and expand member engagement, SMPS HQ provides an executive summary of the board of directors’ discussions and decisions following each regular meeting. The eight-member board of directors meets in person at least four times each fiscal year to fulfill its responsibility of governing the Society and advancing the strategic needs of our members, the organization, and the A/E/C marketing profession. Participants at these meetings include the senior management staff and often the the SMPS Foundation president.
The board met on January 17-18, 2023, at SMPS HQ in Alexandria, VA. This was their second regular meeting of the fiscal year, which began on September 1, 2022. Key discussion topics included the following:
- The board engaged in an open-ended conversation about current and future challenges and opportunities for the A/E/C industry, the marketing profession, the economy, and SMPS.
- President Bolton led a discussion on the values of the organization. Based on an earlier survey of the directors, she presented word clouds that indicated shared values for the individuals and the organization.
- Discussed progress on the development of the 2022-25 strategic plan.
- Approved an updated organizational mission statement.
- Received a report on our investment and reserve funds from our advisor.
- Updated our anti-harassment and apparent authority policies.
- Received reports on other activities, events, and the budget.