SMPS Advances: February 2022
February 8, 2022
To provide transparency and expand member engagement, SMPS HQ provides an executive summary of the board of directors’ discussions and decisions following each regular meeting. The eight-member board of directors meets at least four times each fiscal year to fulfill its responsibility of governing the Society and advancing the strategic needs of our members, the organization, and the A/E/C marketing profession. The meeting typically also includes the SMPS Foundation president and the senior management staff.
Our volunteer leaders and senior staff met in person on February 3-4, 2022, in Alexandria, VA for a quarterly meeting. The following are the key issues that were included:
- Received reports on the revisions for the MARKENDIUM Body of Knowledge books, the certification program, and approved the minutes of the October 2021 meeting
- Approved appointing a task force to explore the further development of the SMPS Fellows Program
- Discussed concerns over how owners and government agencies procure services and how SMPS might be able to affect change
- Explored issues around the membership structure, chapter engagement, governance, and other strategic matters in anticipation of a strategic planning retreat this summer
- Held a conversation with our financial advisor, including a report on our financial reserves
- Discussed the operations and standing of the chapters
- Reviewed the progress on our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives
- Heard a report on managing COVID protocols at SMPS events and the status of any legal concerns (there are none)
- Received a report from the president of the SMPS Foundation
- Reviewed the progress on the development of the Marketer journal and the regional conferences
- Participated in a conversation on the status of the Amplify A|E|C conference
The next meeting is scheduled for March 2022. If you have any questions regarding these matters or the Society’s board meetings, please contact SMPS Chief Executive Officer Michael V. Geary, CAE, at email@example.com.