The Recertification Process
- Attend educational programs related to the knowledge and skill sets outlined in the Domains of Practice for Professional Services Marketersto earn 50 continuing education units.
- Complete and submit your CEU documentation to SMPS headquarters via mail, fax (703.549.2498) or email ([email protected]) to confirm attendance.
- Submit your recertification application every three years. See certification renewal instructions.
Continuing Education Credits
One continuing education unit (CEU) is awarded for each contact hour of instruction. A contact hour is defined as one hour of interaction between a learner and an instructor. For purposes of calculating CEUs, breaks, meals, and social/networking time cannot be included in the contact time.
A function with less than one hour of contact time is not eligible for CEUs. For functions with more than one hour of contact time, the minimum increment of contact time eligible for CEUs is 15 minutes, which cannot be rounded up to the next greatest interval. A presentation during a meal function can be counted for the length of the presentation only. Meeting time devoted to business and committee activities cannot be counted.
How Credits Are Reported
- SMPS Programs: If you attended a program hosted by SMPS Headquarters (Build Business, workshop, webinar), your credits will automatically be added to your transcript.
- SMPS Chapter Programs and Regional Conferences: If you attended an SMPS chapter program or SMPS regional conference, the host is responsible for submitting your attendance to SMPS Headquarters. If a program you attended does not appear on your transcript, please contact the host chapter or regional conference planning committee.
- Non-SMPS Programs: CPSMs must self-report credits earned at other organization events (AMA, AIA, etc.). Submit proof of attendance with supporting documentation. Please allow 3-5 business days for the credit to be approved and applied to your transcript.
For More Information
Contact Kevin Doyle, SMPS Headquarters, at 1.800.292.7677 or 1.703.549.6117, x232, or [email protected].