Highlights of Our History
- Group organizes as the “Society for Bird Doggers (SOBs)” and months later changes name to “National Society for Marketing Professional Services.”
- Lou Zickler elected as the first president. Andy Zinsmeyer appointed first employee (part time).
- Andy Zinsmeyer registered as first member.
- First national conference held in Washington, DC.
- SMPS incorporates as nonprofit corporation.
- First Southeast Regional Conference held in Atlanta, GA.
- National office opens in St. Louis, MO.
Annual achievement award competition is launched.
- First Marketing Information Report published, “The Marketing Coordinator.”
- First full-time employee hired.
National office moves to Washington, DC.
- First issue of Marketer published.
- First salary and expense survey of members conducted.
- Convention held outside of the U.S. in Toronto, ON.
- First chapter is chartered (Michigan).
Diane Creel is the recipient of the first Marketing Achievement Award.
Annual budget exceeds $1 million.
SMPS Foundation is formed.
First chapter president of the year honored (Ruth Higley, Nashville Chapter).
- Society for Marketing Professional Services Handbook published.
- Testing and certification program offered.
Website www.smps.org launched.
Fellows Recognition Program established.
Certified Professional Marketing Services program introduced.
SMPS National Conference renamed Build Business.
SMPS University: Leadership Advancement Program (SMPS U) takes off.
Inaugural The Pinnacle Experience event is organized.
Formal DEI programs initiated.
The annual conference is renamed Amplify A|E|C.
SMPS celebrates its golden anniversary.